Wednesday 20 April 2011

Green Cleaning Concoctions

Here are some tried and tested alternatives to harsh cleaning products. I have used the floor cleaner and tub and tile cleaner for years with happy results. I'm really curious about the carpet deodorizer- cloves..... hmmmmm 

CLEANING CONCOCTIONS
Sonia Mendes gets down and dirty to test-drive homemade cleaners:
Floor cleaner
  • ½ cup vinegar
  • 1 gallon water
  • Mix in a bucket to mop or scrub floors (Source: SavvyMom).
Writer's note: After a thorough sweep, I opt to try this out on the bathroom floor. I realize we don't actually own a mop anymore. So I get down on my hands and knees with some rags (which, incidentally, is not a bad way to go for a thorough spring clean). The result? Pretty impressive, if I say so myself.

Carpet deodorizer
  • 2 cups baking soda
  • 4-5 crumbled bay leaves
  • ½ cup cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon ground cloves  
Mix. Sprinkle on carpets. Let sit up to 24 hours and vacuum. For stains, sprinkle baking soda, rub in and let sit one hour. Scrub with stiff brush and vacuum out (Source: David Suzuki Foundation).Writer's note: I don't typically deodorize my carpets, yet I was curious to try this one. Since our house is fully carpeted, we're always vacuuming so it seemed an easy way to leave a fresh scent in the house. That it did -I sprinkled the deodorizer in a test area and then left for about three hours. When I returned, I thought the smell was great -like fresh Christmas baking. My husband, however, disagreed. He thought the scent was overpowering.

Cleaner for tub and tile
  • Baking soda
  • Vinegar 
Scrub surfaces with baking soda slightly moistened with water. To remove mineral deposits around faucets, cover deposits with strips of paper towels soaked in vinegar. Let sit for one hour and wipe. (Source: SavvyMom).Writer's note: Using a baking soda scrub on my tub and sink worked great -it gave a good clean and rinsed away very easily. However, the strips of vinegar-soaked paper towel were a bit messy and I didn't like waiting an hour to go back to the spot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment